Wow. I cannot believe that today is January 1st. This last year has FLOWN by! I made several goals last year, and met (or exceeded) 2 out of the 4 challenges. Not too bad for this bookworm, who can never finish out a book commitment.
This year, I’m going to be trying out a different kind of challenge. On top of the challenge included in my FairyLoot Reading calendar, this year I will be focusing on getting through my fully stocked personal library. I am aiming to read 75-100 books that I ALREADY own. This does not include pre-orders, as there are some books that I have already ordered. This DOES include any audiobooks, ebooks, and physical books in my current collections.
To keep myself honest and stay on track, I will be posting each and every book on the blog. It may not include a full review, but each one will get, at least, an:
“I read this, and it sucked/was amazing. You should/should not read it, too!”
What do I hope to accomplish with this challenge?
I really thought long and hard about what I wanted to commit to this year. I felt like I reigned in my a lot of my excess book consumerism habits in 2019 and this year, I really hope to cull my actual book purchasing.
Over the course of 2019, I parred down my collection of bookish goods, keeping only what was really special to me, and not ordering a ton of book boxes that included things that I would not want nor use. I opted for book only purchased when available, and kept those to a minimum.
However, I did not stop purchasing new releases, nor did I cut back on my thrift shop searching. (I mean, half off sales and $3 books, who could resist!?) While I HIGHLY doubt I will be eliminating my purchases of thrift books, I aim to at least cut back on those, selecting on the books I absolutely had to have – and eliminating most of the New Release purchases.
Now, don’t get me wrong, there are some books that I just can’t pass up – CHOSEN, A HEART SO FIERCE AND BROKEN, and ALL THE STARS AND TEETH are all on said list – but over all, I will continue to use the library and Scribd for these new releases that I MUST consume immediately. 😉
Another big reason I want to tackle the mountain of books on my shelf is because I have yet to explore so many of the worlds already at my fingertips. and to rediscover the love of some worlds I’ve since forgotten. I am going to be reading books on my TBR and rereads, alike, so it will be a jumbled mess of amazingness as I take the tour down my rabbit hole of bookish love!
The final challenge on my radar for 2020 is the Audiobook Challenge. This challenge is hosted by Hot Listens & Caffeinated Reader. I am an avid Audiobook enjoyer, and I’d love to make my wat through even more audiobooks this year! My average last year was about 30, so this year I am aiming for 50 or more!
- Runs January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019. You can join at anytime.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2019 than you did in 2018.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, Facebook, LibraryThing, etc.
- If you’re a blogger grab the button and do a quick post about the challenge to help spread the word. If you’re not a blogger you can help by posting on Facebook or Tweeting about the challenge.
- Updates plus a giveaway will be posted twice during the year. First update in June 30, 2019 and last update in December 15, 2019.
- Newbie (I’ll give it a try) 1-5
- Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) 5-10
- Stenographer (can listen while multi-tasking) 10-15
- Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) 15-20
- Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) 20-30
- My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) 30+
- Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) 50+
What’s on your 2020 challenge this year!?